New Que mag.

A new magazine published in Quebec that mixes equal parts Paris Match, Time and People hopes to sell 80,000 copies a week by the end of the year.Carole Pare, communications director for Telemedia's Qui Hebo, says research found a gap in...

A new magazine published in Quebec that mixes equal parts Paris Match, Time and People hopes to sell 80,000 copies a week by the end of the year.

Carole Pare, communications director for Telemedia’s Qui Hebo, says research found a gap in the market for just such a publication as hers.

Pare says the new glossy magazine has no direct competitor.

It will be ‘very newsy, very cultural,’ she says.

Pare says 60% of Qui Hebo’s readers will be women, and the other 40%, men.

She says 80% of its newsstand buyers will be women, adding the age range of readers will be 25-49.

The magazine costs $2.75 a copy plus tax.

To promote Qui Hebo, Pare says Quebec was blanketed with 700,000 copies of an issue with a photgraph of the late Rene Levesque on its cover, and articles on such topics as Quebec pop singers, pandas, movie director Yves Simoneau and the Paul Teale-Karla Homolka case inside.

However, she points out, that issue was to create awareness for the magazine and should be considered ‘number zero.’

The first regular copy of the magazine came out a week later and the second regular copy is now on newsstands.

For ‘issue zero,’ Pare says the Chevrolet division of General Motors of Canada bought all the ad space in the 76-page magazine.

According to Andre Gingras, marketing director at General Motors of Canada, several factors caused Chevrolet to associate itself with the launch of the magazine.

The first, Gingras says, is its demographics are a good fit with the buyers of Chevrolet vehicles.

Second, he says its launch coincided with the arrival of the car maker’s 1994 models, and, last, Chevrolet was able to create a series of ads especially adapted to the magazine.

Gingras says Chevrolet, which makes its sporty Camaro in Quebec, will continue to advertise in Qui Hebo.