Canadians’ spending habits across provinces

Nielsen study highlights FMCG spending across the country, as well as the growing influence of discount retailers.
fruits-grocery-bananas-market

Quebeckers are frequent fast-moving consumer goods (FMCGs) shoppers – more so than Canadians from any other province, according to new Nielsen data tracking purchasing trends during a 52-week period ending Sept. 29, 2018.

In “La belle province” consumers spend the most per household, with average FMCG household sales totaling $9,191, states the report. That’s $1,000 more than its Ontario neighbours. Quebeckers also make the most frequent trips per household, according to the report (174 trips, versus 147 for Ontarians).

Albertans make the fewest trips per household, but are second to Quebeckers when it comes to spending ($9,075). Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents come in third when it comes to total spending at $8,715. Ontarians and British Columbians spend an annual average of $8,236 and $8,404, respectively, both below the national average of $8,650.

The report also found that 68.6% of FMCG dollars are spent at conventional retailers, while the remaining 31.4% is spent at discount retailers.

Discount retailers are growing at four times the rate of conventional retailers, according to Nielsen’s data. However, British Columbia is leading market growth with an 8% increase in spending at discount retailers, double the national average.

Consumer goods spend at discount retailers was broken down by region, with Ontario leading the way at 37%, compared to just 16.2% in the Maritimes. The percentage dollar share for discounters is second highest in Manitoba/Saskatchewan (34.8%) and third in Alberta (32.3%).